The City of Chesapeake seeks an individual with strong reporting skills and management experience to fill the Controller position.
The Controller is responsible for the accounting operations and financial activities (including Financial Reporting, the General Ledger, year-end financial statements, audit preparation and payment of invoices), assisting with policies and procedures, advising on financial activities and transactions, reviewing budgets and expenditures, reviewing data and industry literature, recommending and implementing new procedures, supervising staff, evaluating, documenting and reporting financial activities to senior management, and advising City departmental managers on operating and capital budget issues and approving various financial transactions.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Review, analysis, implementation and documentation of internal controls over financial transactions and financial reporting to comply with the required standards - existing and new.
- The position plans, organizes, and implements programs within major organizational policies and reports program progress to executive level administrators through reports and conferences.
- This position also serves as the lead subject matter expert for the PeopleSoft Financial system.
- This position supervises and ensures with proper and prompt grant, APA, ARRA and other required reporting.
- The Controller assists the Director of Finance and the Assistant Director of Finance by providing analysis, recommendations and supervising assigned staff.
The Controller supervises a staff of six full-time accountants, one part-time accountant and the Accounts Payable Manager. Additionally, the Controller and staff provide review and oversight to the decentralized accounting activities throughout the City.