Thornburg Investment Management is a privately-owned global investment firm that offers a range of solutions for retail and institutional investors. We are driven by our mission to help our clients reach their long-term financial goals through fundamental research and active portfolio management. Founded in 1982 and headquartered in Santa Fe, New Mexico, we manage approximately $49 billion (as of December 31, 2016) across eight equity and eleven bond mutual funds, separate accounts for high-net-worth investors and institutional accounts, and five UCITS funds for non-U.S. investors.
At Thornburg, we value integrity and believe in doing the right thing for our company and our clients. Our culture promotes teamwork, while providing opportunities for our employees to learn and grow in their professional careers. In 2015 Thornburg was named one of New Mexico's Best Places to Work.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION:
The Manager, Tax and Fund Administration (“Manager”) is a senior role within Fund Administration that will predominantly provide oversight of tax services, assist with financial administration for the Thornburg Funds (“Funds”) and report in to the Director of Fund Administration.
This is a dual role for an individual with significant experience in mutual fund tax, who can be responsible for all tax related activities but also assist with financial administration. In this role, the Manager will ensure the continued development and execution of tax oversight model, taking into consideration regulatory and business environment that the Funds operate within. The Manager will also be a key participant and will lead/participate in Fund related initiatives as they arise.
The role is highly visible within the organization and requires working cross functionally with all levels of management in Portfolio Management, Operations, Legal, Compliance, Product Development, Sales/Distribution, Client Service, Corporate Finance and various vendors that provide services to the Funds.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Review/prepare tax provisions, analysis and preparation of dividend distribution requirements with adjustments from a GAAP to tax basis to comply with income tax and excise tax regulations.
• Review/prepare the calculation and preparation of shareholder reports as well as tax disclosures for the reports to shareholders, including Prepared by Client work papers.
• Analysis/communication of portfolio holdings and special tax considerations as they relate to distributions.
• Analysis of class specific dividend distributions.
• Analysis/documentation of income and asset diversification tests for tax purposes.
• Analysis/preparation of permanent and temporary book tax adjustments.
• Analysis/maintenance of distributable capital gains and capital loss carryforwards.
• Review/prepare the RIC and excise income tax returns, as required.
• Review/prepare shareholder reporting documentation and other disclosure documents.
• Assist Director, Fund Administrations with Fund Oversight including daily valuation, distributions, expenses, shareholder recordkeeping, custody of assets, new instruments, periodic review and update of offering documents, issue identification, management and resolution.
• Assist with oversight of fund accounting and custody service providers.
• Financial Reporting and Disclosure Controls – Prepare / review financial statements and regulatory filings; coordinate audit efforts with service providers and external auditors; execute disclosure control procedures; and certify to internal controls over financial reporting.
• Fund Regulatory Filings, Requests, and Inquiries – Review of all fund-related regulatory filings; participate in efforts to respond to regulatory requests and inquiries related to the funds.
• Governance/Board Reporting – develop materials to summarize oversight results to funds’ governing bodies (e.g., Board of Directors).
• Management Reporting – Develop materials to provide periodic reporting to management regarding results of oversight model; status of initiatives and issue resolution.