We currently have an opportunity for an Assistant Vice President, Master Underwriter, supporting our OneBeacon Healthcare group. Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Healthcare, you will underwrite a portfolio of renewal and new business for Hospitals and Physician Groups within our Midwest Region. This AVP opportunity has the ability to sit anywhere within the region, or in any one of our many OneBeacon office locations nationwide. It also has the flexibility to work remotely.
1. Maximizes opportunities for underwriting profitable new and renewal business, as appropriate based on market conditions, by leveraging business relationships, product knowledge and underwriting acumen. Develops and maintains an active target account list tracking prospects and account rounding and/or missed opportunities. Manages financial performance of assigned territory including: accident year loss ratio, premium plans (new business, retention, and rate/exposure increases), and commission targets.
2. Underwrites a book of business. Manages underwriting quality and book management. Reviews eligibility, class fit, price, deductibles, ITV and losses to determine exposures. Executes underwriting strategy as determined by management, including portfolio management, self-audits of new and renewal business and well documented approvals of underwriting edits. Ensures compliance with standards and assigned underwriting authorities.
3. Demonstrates a strong understanding of exposures and key coverage issues. Makes underwriting decisions to accept, decline, or modify risks within broad underwriting authority. Implements underwriting decisions in compliance with state laws.
4. Develops superior working relationships with producers to successfully promote achievement of mutual growth and profitability goals and to supply the appropriate products and services. From a sales perspective, has the ability to identify gaps in coverage and/or services, understands where OneBeacon can make a difference based on those gaps and uses that information to help retain or obtain a customer. Works closely with and establishes strong business partnerships with other OneBeacon departments, including claims, actuary and risk control staff in an effort to better service producers and accounts.
5. Regularly travels to key producers/accounts and remains highly visible in the marketplace. Anticipates the needs of the agency plant, analyzes trends, and implements proactive strategies that best position the business. Understands and communicates the OneBeacon underwriting appetite. Monitors agency action plans and participates in account management, agency planning and marketing meetings to best position the business for the future.
6. Gathers and analyzes competitor information and producer specific reports on assigned producers’ new business flow, retention, profitability and potential, to support territorial rate reviews. Works with other underwriting staff to determine and make recommendations for marketing, pricing, products and systems. 7. Provides training and mentoring to less experienced underwriters. 8. Maintains a strong professional knowledge of competitive, regulatory and legal environments and applies this information effectively.
7. Provides training and mentoring to less experienced underwriters.
8. Maintains a strong professional knowledge of competitive, regulatory and legal environments and applies this information effectively.
Expert knowledge of technical underwriting, pricing, and coverage issues.
Proven self-starter with strong multi-tasking and relationship management skills.
OneBeacon Insurance Group, Ltd. is a Bermuda-domiciled holding company that is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “OB.” OneBeacon’s underwriting companies offer a range of specialty insurance products sold through independent agencies, regional and national brokers, wholesalers and managing general agencies. Each business is managed by an experienced team of specialty ...insurance professionals focused on a specific customer group or industry segment, and providing distinct products and tailored coverages and services. For further information about our products and services visit: onebeacon.com and to remain up to date on OneBeacon’s news, follow us on Twitter @OneBeaconIns or visit our online newsroom: onebeacon.com/newsroom.